03-13-2014, 07:17 AM   #174
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
Really? wow that just goes to show how much the meaning of what I wrote changed between me constructing it in my head and you reading it.
I don't have any problem with people wearing fakes, replicas or homages.
Fair enough. My mistake then. Apologies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
How about replicas of old watches like the "James Bond" Rolex Sub?
A real version that is not only very expensive but also quite rare.
Its about the only real Rolex I would like to own....buts that's not likely to happen so a replica would be about the only way to own one.
I don't have a problem with it at all, if that's all you want to know. Personally, I'm more inclined to "let bygones be bygones" when it comes to having missed out on a vintage watch. I'd be content with the current model instead if just having one to wear is the thing. That said, if it's just a matter of wanting the specific 1950s look and the details that distinguish it -- the most obvious being the size (38mm or 36mm, depending on which reference one chooses) and the dial (less writing) -- it's far more plausible that one can obtain a fake in large measure due not only to price but also availability.

In consideration of price, however, the smaller Sub that's associated with Bond and Dr. No (5508) can be had for not a lot more than a current model Submariner. The 38mm 6538 is a different matter altogether. At least I don't see the difference as being all that significant -- $9K vs. $12K - inasmuch as I figure one who can spend $9K can probably spend $12K too, despite their perhaps not wanting to or initially expecting to do so.

For a contemporary watch, however, I probably wouldn't go over my budget, not even by a pretty small sum, because I set a budget limit for a reason; if I'd wanted to spend more, I'd have set a higher limit back when I was planning and had some sense in my head. Once I'm caught up in the excitement of the moment, it's important to keep within the guidelines I'd sent when I was thinking clearly, with my head not my heart. For a vintage piece that has more significance to me than the intrinsic qualities of the watch itself, I would pay what I need to pay if I'm that committed to having that specific thing and the unique intangible attributes I expect to receive along with it.
From a collecting standpoint, clearly a current Sub cannot stand in for an authentic 5508 or 6538 any more than a fake can. In that regard, there's no difference between a fake, current Sub and an authentic one. A fake variant of the vintage model might indeed be more satisfying to one who lacks access to an authentic one.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0