08-28-2015, 03:06 PM   #55
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
Don't let my bad experience dissuade you, I still think they're beautiful. Just stay away from any with rubber straps, they dry out in no time and crack and cost a lot ($500+) FOR RUBBER! Also, my automatic ones aren't half as easy to keep running as my Rolexes are after they sat around. They sure are good looking though
Yes. Breguet is no different. In fact all high end watch companies want "stupid" prices for their brand name straps. It's no better buying a skin strap from the folks who make straps for those companies. (ABP and Camille Fournet are the two I know of that make straps for several HEW companies.)

The rubber strap for my Marine was in good shape last time I looked at it (a couple years ago). It just sits in a box, however. It was verging on eight years old then. I wear the watch on a bracelet.

The one on my Oceana is newer, but also in good condition. That's the one I "worry" about because the rubber band is also the thing that keeps the base from rotating.

You can see the little nubs around the base of the watch. The base is what one rotates to set the time as there is no crown. If you look at the pic of the blue strap, you can see a "canal" and flap at the watch end of the strap. The "canal" edge/flap grips the nubs and keeps the ring to which they are attached from rotating. Pita are a bit more reasonable at ~$250 for their strap. Unfortunately, unlike most makers, there is no other source for the straps that I've been able to find. I bought a spare with the watch because no matter how infrequently I wear it, it's bound to dry out, crack, or something.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 1