View Single Post
      08-28-2015, 03:47 PM   #57
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
I haven't dealt with them either, but I've also never since I bought mine -- 1980s -- needed a repair. I have a tank watch.

Of course, the sad truth is that so long as everything goes as expected, we don't hear a peep. People are quick to say "so and so was <insert negative comment>". Rarely do people go out of their way to say, "everything went just like it should have." Thus the WWW is loaded with people griping, but not with people saying what a wonderful experience they had.

Wrickem,
You can dislike Cartier. That's fine. You can be angry with them because they ticked you off. That's fine and understandable, to a point.
  • What repair did you need? For what watch that you'd had for how long?
  • What actions on Cartier's part made them a pain to deal with?
I suppose any watch can go out of style. I have a Tank and it's hardly out of style, for men or women. The idea of Cartier and "out of style" is very much the same as the idea of Porsche and "slow cars." That they don't go out of style is why Cartier watches command such high resale values at auction and hold their own quite well.

I am curious to learn of the specific "drama" you had with them and their watches. You are the first person I've ever heard tell of such a thing.

All the best.
Oh, I didn't say I dislike them, I said I am "starting to dislike them", I think they are beautiful but in my opinion they date themselves more quickly than a Rolex or an Omega which to me always looks "manly" and "classic". Also my experience with them is that they are more prone to scratches from wear.

The only one of my 3 Cartier's I have not had problems with is my Santos, it could be due to it's the only 1 of the 3 which is not automatic. When I put my Santos on, sure it looks beautiful but also kind of flat and small which I see as "dated" (yes, I know it was designed over 100 years ago, but it feels dated to me now, I may not always feel this way).

The Roadster had issues from day 1 with it stopping while wearing it and the Cartier store I purchased it from suggested that I probably don't move my wrist enough! I have 5 other automatics and no trouble with the frequency that I move my hand Finally I persuaded them to send it for repair and it ended up being so $*C&#@ up that Cartier sent an entirely new one. I like the style and interchangeable bands though, and of course I had to get as many bands as I could because that's just how I am. And it's big enough I don't feel it's as dated as the Santos.

The Must 21 diver has a rubber strap. If you do an internet search, you'll see that it is common for them to dry out and crack pretty early. (my Chopard Mille Miglia's rubber band looks as fresh as the day I bought it) After 11 months mine started to crack. I brought it in to the Cartier store and they only had a white band in stock. To get a black one it would take at least 4 weeks. I told them I'll take the white band, I don't have a white banded watch, and I thought it would look good. They wouldn't do it because the watch came with a black one originally! Do you think if you went to your BMW parts department and bought an interior that didn't spec with you exterior color from the factory that your service department would refuse to install it?? Of course they wouldn't, it's your car and you're paying! This watch also has to go in twice as much to be serviced as any of my Rolexes do because it's running slow/stopped/starts and stops.

Oddly, after writing all of this I am starting to feel the for all 3 of them again and am going to wear my Santos tonight! I'll bet you're sorry you asked, Tony!