08-28-2015, 07:19 PM   #58
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
Oh, I didn't say I dislike them, I said I am "starting to dislike them", I think they are beautiful but in my opinion they date themselves more quickly than a Rolex or an Omega which to me always looks "manly" and "classic". Also my experience with them is that they are more prone to scratches from wear.

The only one of my 3 Cartier's I have not had problems with is my Santos, it could be due to it's the only 1 of the 3 which is not automatic. When I put my Santos on, sure it looks beautiful but also kind of flat and small which I see as "dated" (yes, I know it was designed over 100 years ago, but it feels dated to me now, I may not always feel this way).

The Roadster had issues from day 1 with it stopping while wearing it and the Cartier store I purchased it from suggested that I probably don't move my wrist enough! I have 5 other automatics and no trouble with the frequency that I move my hand Finally I persuaded them to send it for repair and it ended up being so $*C&#@ up that Cartier sent an entirely new one. I like the style and interchangeable bands though, and of course I had to get as many bands as I could because that's just how I am. And it's big enough I don't feel it's as dated as the Santos.

Oddly, after writing all of this I am starting to feel the for all 3 of them again and am going to wear my Santos tonight! I'll bet you're sorry you asked, Tony!
TY for sharing your repair-related experience. No, I'm not at all sorry about having asked. I wanted to know. You are literally the first person I've known of to have "issues" with a Cartier.

Yes, the current trend in watches is for larger than 38mm watches. Just give it time and the trend will shift back to smaller ones. Look at that photo I posted of the guy praying and the CdC watch to the right of him.

That watch looks ridiculously large on his wrist. It's as though it's screaming, "Hey, hey. I'm a Cartier. See me. Look this way." I think all big watches do that. (although they probably don't all rhyme when they do it LOL) By contrast, look at Warhol's watch. It's there, you see it, but it isn't dwarfing his wrist and looking like it's damn near as wide as the back of his hand.

You see the same comparative understated elegance with Jackie O and Gable below.

In the next photo you can see the difference with the larger, "modern" sized Cartier Tank. It doesn't quite dwarf the guy's wrist/hand as does the CdC above, but you can see if it were much larger it would. That said, I still think it's too damn big for that guy's wrist.

I've happy to read you are again feeling the for your watches. In that regard, I feel I've done what I am here to do.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0