Rep
Drives: F85, G05, E46M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i101 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarif1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i101 View Post
Closest dealership is 10 hours from me, I bought the car (f85) about a month ago from a non-BMW dealer and figured while I was nearby, I would swing in to the BMW dealership, see if they could provide me past maintenance records, and and have them look at a trailing wiring error I was getting.

The dealership was great, provided me with all the service history, had to order a part for the trailer error, so I made an appointment around Thanksgiving when I was going to be in town.

When they plugged in my key, it told them I needed a brake fluid flush, replacement of final drive fluid (rear diff), and micro filters replaced in the next 1400 miles or so.

I hate bleeding brakes (without a helper) and they only wanted 160.00 for brake fluid service, so I added that to my next service when they were fixing the trailer module. The other items I think they wanted 550.00 for and I was more than happy to take care of those myself.

I ordered up and replaced the micro-filters and ordered the gear oil, plug and gasket for the rear diff.

When I brought the car in for the service, I let them know that I replaced the micro-filters and they were happy to reset the system that tracks the micro filter service reminders (as that item does not show up on my resettable service by holding the odometer button) at no charge.

I hadn't yet replaced the rear gear oil and never thought to ask them to reset that light. I plan on doing it this weekend. What system exactly tracks that stuff, as it doesn't appear to be a part of the CBS reminders?

I have a few scan tools, Carly, ISTA, bimmercode, but can't seem to find anything? Is this strictly tracked on the key fob itself? I will be back in the area for Christmas, so I guess worse case, I can ask them to reset it for me, but I would like to do it on my own...?

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
This is reset though ista. The car tracks diff fluid life but not through normal CBS interface. It's important to fill the correct fluids and levels (there is a specific volume required for each of the 3 diff chambers, if fluid is coming out the fill holes, it's overfilled).

The main reason you should reset this through ista is that the friction modifiers change as the fluid wears and the controller for the diff compensates.

If your dealer can't find this, I can send you a screenshot this weekend.
Do you mind showing me the screen shot of this?

I noticed over the weekend that they never reset the oil service light. I called them, after resetting it myself, to confirm they reset the diff fluid through ISTA. They responding correctly, "It would have gotten reset when you reset the oil service in the CBS."

It truly amazes me that techs/dealerships don't know how to service their own product. The exact reason I had them do the service is because I didn't want to deal with ISTA.
I will get you the screenshot later this week. From your previous post, it sounded like only the center section oil was replaced. This should not require a reset since the clutches are in the outer chambers.
Appreciate 0