View Single Post
      10-31-2019, 04:21 PM   #63
firestart
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5

I got it working on my 2016 X5 after struggling with it for a while, so here's what I've done:
- I've checked the navigation current map version. For this, go to navigation and open options either by pressing options button or go right 2 times on the navigation screen.
My screen read:
Road Map NORTH AMERICA Next 2015-2
NBT_M15392A
So now I know I need a Next version.

- I've downloaded the file from torrent on a PC.
- Made sure my flash drive is FAT32 formatted. It's a USB 3.1, 64 GB flash drive btw.
- Extracted the zip file I've downloaded, which had a folder and everything in that folder.
- Created a blank config.nfm file in that folder since it was missing in the zip and I read somewhere that's needed.
- Copied the folder to USB drive altogether.
Went my car
- Turned the car ignition on, waited until navigation is loaded
- Inserted the flash drive to the USB port in the arm rest...... nothing happened...
This is the "Oh shit!" moment. No idea if it was that the car is broken, the flashdrive or the formatting... Car didn't give any response what so ever...
- Went back to my PC and copied the files to outside that folder on the flash drive. So the root of flash drive looked as below:
Name:  Screen Shot 2019-10-31 at 4.09.09 PM.png
Views: 5061
Size:  39.3 KB
-Went back to my car.
- Turned the car ignition on, waited until navigation is loaded
- Inserted the flash drive to the USB port in the arm rest...... I thought it was another "Oh Shit" moment... but after 5-10 seconds car displayed a message saying it found a more recent map data on the flash drive. Giving me options to update or cancel.
- After selecting update, it started displaying an entry screen. No prompts, no messages, just an entry screen.
- At this point I tried to enter some codes I generated using the code generation tool I've downloaded. None worked. I'm sure it was my mistake.
- I was afraid entering many wrong codes would cause a problem but it didn't. When I restarted the car, it went back to original state with the old map.

Decided it's easier to buy from ebay.
- I've bought a code on ebay. Code arrived a few hours later.
- Repeated the steps and entered the code I bought on ebay. worked like a charm.
update took about 30 minutes. didn't need to remain on the update screen. Could listen to music and use the card during that time, even the old map was visible during update. I suppose navigation function however wouldn't work.

good luck...
Appreciate 0