05-25-2020, 03:30 PM   #33
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayone415 View Post
Sorry, it probably would of been much easier if I thought more about what I meant. Yeah, I did mean high RPMs close to redline or maxing out to rev limiter on a daily basis. Depending on how old the cars that are still on the road there manual or automatic the car can have three to eight years and still reach higher speeds eventually.

You explained your experiences with oil, but I'm still going to argue it depends on the car like the experience I had and other friends had with VW/Audis burning a quart of oil every 500-900 miles and that was the norm according to the manufacturer.

I also mentioned about no temperature gauge in some cars, so the car could be getting really close to overheating and it actually reminded me that some cars, at least in the past didn't come with RPM gauges. Which makes thing what the hell were they thinking about when they designed these cars. I don't live in a hot area, but the last two summers have been a lot higher, closer to regular summer elsewhere and having a mild tune without a temperature gauge doing my normal driving is still concerning.
Good points indeed. I have a theory about oil consumption. This topic is also very heavily debated in the Mustang community, and my personal take on it is that it depends on piston ring clearances, and how you break it in.

If the clearances are tight, normal break in is fine, if the clearances are a bit on the wide side, hard break in is needed. Many Mustang V8s consume a quart per 1000miles. And in my opinion it's because they have wider ring gap, necessitating a harder than usual break in.

My Coyote ate 1/2 a quart in the first 3000 miles. Than I took it to the track, right at the 3k mile mark. It ate another 1/2 quart in the first 2 morning sessions, and not an ounce more till I sold it at 35k miles and 5 years later (including another 12 track days). This tells me it needed more heat to properly seat the rings than one can get on the street.

That's my hypothesis anyway.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE. Because race car!

"Redline a day keeps the mechanics away"
Appreciate 0