08-09-2013, 04:42 AM   #152
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyoyl View Post
You might have missed Glashutte and Richard Mille in the poll.
See post #35.

I didn't miss Glashütte. I know they make a very fine watch and I like their Sixties and Senator series watches. I hardly expected it to get many votes on here and I just wasn't going to buy that brand, so it didn't matter. Piaget and JLC aren't on the list for more or less the same reasons, although in JLC's case, it's the opposite -- I knew that's what I would buy my daughter, so it didn't matter. Unlike Tag, there was no uproar about any of these brands, yet IMO each is far more deserving than Tag.

I don't like the Mille watches I've seen, which admittedly number about two. Even so, with but a casual glance at either I was no closer to knowing the time of day than I was before I looked at them. So that's why Mille's not there. I suspect, however, a Mille might be a novel watch to own just for the sake of owning it. I just figure folks that wear them, and take time to decipher the time they report, have fewer temporal demands than I.

I did put Rolex and Omega on the list mainly as because I knew the populists would have a conniption if I didn't. I like and own watches from both those companies, so there was a off chance I'd buy one of those, though it wasn't likely since both my sons have on various occasions worn mine. Buying them either, IMO, wouldn't seem so special to them since they are well habituated to just wearing mine. Indeed, my oldest son has all but claimed my Submariner as his own; he went off to college hundreds of miles away with it on. He didn't ask me for it, but I didn't demand it back either. Once I give him the Royal Oak, perhaps I'll see my Submariner more often. My youngest son alternates between my other Rolex and an Omega and it'll be quite a while before he's up for a watch; have to get him a car before I get him a watch.

As for my last son, I don't know what I'll get him when the time comes. I suspect what I decide will be based on his personality and tastes and whether he specifically asks for something in particular as my daughter did.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0