08-06-2020, 03:09 PM   #45
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, E46 & M3, F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Face Pony Soldier View Post
Thanks for sharing your experience. I truly wish your family the best.

That being said... I am long past being sick of hearing teachers complain that their job is so burdensome, and that they're not getting just compensation. Did they not research what the position entails? They already get months off every year, and get off every day that even hints at a holiday. Teachers also usually have a gold plated benefits and retirement package. Plus teachers qualify for additional fringe benefits (like affordable housing, or special loan rates) we suckers in the private sector can only dream of.

I won't even get into the bullshit the teacher unions pull like "we'll come back to work when you defund the police."

In my experience teachers took their job because they wanted a schedule that was conducive to being home a lot. That's probably why they appear so surprised that there's more actual work involved than they expected.

Teachers: Your country needs you to show up for work. You're essential; act like it.
Cant say I disagree in the slightest! That very conversation was one we had prior to her going through the schooling, although, another unique aspect; she was 16. Washington state allows a "Running Start" program that allows you to replace high school with college, so, she graduated at 20 with her bachelors. We had VERY little understanding of finances at the time.

That said, its a continuing conversation and decision we both choose to make. I fund many items in her classroom, and with silent pleasure (until I posted this.)

The statements weren't to defend status quo, rather, to highlight the DIFFERENCES abundantly clear to someone who's entire household is being impacted by this evolution of a pandemic as it is so deemed. They are all begging to show up, not to show up to two and sometimes in my wife's case, 6 places at once. As for the time off comment, it plays wildly into our choice with young children. Unfortunately, she is required to work two weeks after they come home for summer break, and two weeks prior to their start. While I can only speak for my wife, the hours she puts in equates to a full work year. Many nights I begin to tire of my 12 hour days and she is still going, burning the midnight oil. She is not alone. Walk a mile in the shoes they say. Hope that helps.

If someone were to ask you to to quadruple your work for not one extra penny, you could not with sound mind tell me you would reply with a resounding, "Thank you, may I have another?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
I have to say, you and I feel much the same way. Both my wife and I work hard and are very tired of hearing incessant demands from the teachers every year or so, where they hold the kids (and us) hostage until their demands are met. Don't like it - find another job. If there are no teachers left, the government will raise the pay to attract them.

I know there are good teachers, I've had a few myself, but it just seems like they are more and more in the minority.

We have decided to send our kids to a private Christian school and the first will be going this September. The quality of education and experience should be much better than the public schools, and we are hoping we won't deal with all the strikes to the same degree as well.

We're just fortunate that our government has decided elementary schools are opening full time (not a hybrid) in September, so it should be back to school as normal. High schools are on a hybrid approach though.
Agree also, it speaks volumes when you are a teacher in the district and send your kids to a private school outside of said district. We did this for a couple of years while this district got its crap together. To be fair, this particular school and district I am highlighting are eager to return to classrooms, but mindset is quite different in Arizona. We dont have a teachers union, thankfully, and the school has little or no power. Quite the antithesis is true for us.

Last edited by fiveohwblow; 08-06-2020 at 03:20 PM..
Appreciate 0