View Single Post
      10-19-2020, 10:00 AM   #64
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

schools here are a mixture of fully open, hybrid and fully virtual. Living in a more rural area, the smaller districts have gone more fully open and as far as I know, no issues this year. My niece is in school full time, her mom a teacher in a hybrid district, and the precautions they are taking (temps every morning, social distancing, more outdoor classes, masks, etc) seem to be working pretty well.

My SIL in the hybrid model (a fraction of students are in school, rest are online) is having a rough time, because she was assigned to the virtual learning team. It is mainly comprised of older, at risk teachers, with a few younger, tech savvy teachers doing what they can to help the older ones figure it out. My niece was in this district until they moved her about a month ago because it ends up being ~1-2 hrs of actual class room learning while learning remotely. The majority of the day is on your own doing busy work, or the teacher trying to figure out technical issues.

My other SIL and nieces live in a higher risk area, and were slated for fully virtual. My SIL took them both out of the district, quit her job, and is going the homeschool and pod learning route. Her kids are struggling with not being able to see their friends, but at least they are getting a decent education.

The biggest issue is in the differences between parents beliefs and income levels. The ones that are taking this thing at least a little bit seriously and can afford clean clothes/masks/sanitary products/etc are not going to be the ones you need to worry about. Its the ones that think its a joke and dont follow the guidelines and recommendations, or cant afford to, that end up being the liabilities. Its sad to say, but this virus has created a massive gap between income levels in families. Hopefully vaccines will be here soon like they estimate, and schools can figure out a safe way to open, because right now, the kids are suffering the most.

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 0