sexy_ninja_goat
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E90, '10 RR Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotik View Post
A lot of watch names here....

PLEASE HELP ME OUT! I really want to get Luis Erard watch (a first nice watch for me), but some people keep telling me to stick with big brands (ROLEX, OMEGA, IWC, briteling)... My budget is only about $3k, and I don't think i can buy any big brand watches I want something to pass down to my kid, and something i can wear a lot and be stylish (i like mont blanc).

Can you tell me if it's a good watch that will keep value? Any help or watch advice is appriciated...

Here is my $.02

Don't buy a watch because it cost's a lot. Buy something you like. Decide what it is about a watch that is important to you.

For example, I have a Speedmaster Pro because I love the whole moon-watch heritage. I have a JLC Master Calendar because for the money, you will not find a more classic watch with extensive lineage and in house movements. I have rolex's because I can beat the hell out of them and they never skip a tick. I buy watches that fit a niche in my life while at the same time fulfill the root qualities that I admire in a good watch.

For me I am willing to pay $$ for a company with heritage and lineage and a history for pride in quality and class. I prefer watch makers that have "in house movements", meaning they design, test, manufacture, and assemble the "guts" of the watch themselves (which believe it or not can cost millions and is more and more rare these days with watch brands). You'd be surprised how many $10,000.00+ watches have ETA/Valijoux (off the shelf) movements in them, in which case you are strictly paying for the right to wear the name. (The Louis Erard uses a Valijoux).

I too like the idea of being able to buy a quality watch, make a couple of decades worth of memories with it, and then be able to hand it down to my children. For me, that sort of idea very much lends itself to the romantics of owning and wearing a quality watch.

In my opinion, if you don't want to break the bank, and want something with impeccable lineage that your son will be proud (and extremely lucky) to wear, you can find few better, dollar for dollar, than a JLC Master Control, (can be found new around $5200.00 or pre-owned for a bit less). If you are absolutely constrained to the $3000.00 range, I would look at Chronoswiss. Strong lineage, in house movements, great looking watches, and in your price range. I would be proud to wear a Chronoswiss on my wrist.

Again, just figure out what it is that attracts you to watches, and what's important to you. You can't go wrong if you buy what YOU like!

Last edited by sexy_ninja_goat; 04-01-2013 at 05:47 AM..
Appreciate 0