View Single Post
      06-04-2014, 10:47 AM   #7
Brokeduetoe90
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosef View Post
a private sale will almost certainly get you more value than what you would be offered on a trade-in. they're dealers - they need to make money on both your trade-in as well as the piece you buy. I'd say sell it privately and then go buy the watch you want.
Quote:
Originally Posted by notime View Post
I don't think I would hold on to the AK and buy a pre-owned DJ thinking the AK will go up in value.
If you can sell the AK to a private party great, but convenience may demand a trade-in.
I was just thinking if you held on to the watch you can compare it to the new piece, you'd be starting a collection and just maybe with wishful thinking, in the distant future the value would increase - that's half the fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM330i View Post
The best plave for you to sell it would be http://www.rolexforums.com/
Join the site and you'll be able to post in the "For Sale" section.

Just know this, for any online forum, potential buyers will want references. Most of the sales are done via bank-wire transfer and they want to make sure the person they are dealing with is not a rip-off artist (yes, there are still people out there trying to take advantage of the internet).

That being said, if you don't want to deal with a forum to sell your watch, you can definitely go to your local AD and see if they do take trades (not all do). My local AD does accept trades for all brands of watches, but they do not sell them. They literally have 3 or 4 places that buy used watches and they simply give them a call and ask for their best deal. TBH, I had a very good experience with this recently when I traded in a 2000 Polar Explorer II and a Panerai 111 when I purchased my GMT BLNR. I only lost a few hundred dollars vs. what I could have gotten selling them myself privately. Was it worth it? To me, yes.

I also see you're in Ventura, CA. Just Google "Used Watches" in your area and see what comes up. Contact them to see if they'd be interested in purchasing your watch outright.

BTW: Which Rolex will you be upgrading to?
I have four Rolexs at the moment. The brand new GMT BLNR, which is very hard to get yet. A white and a black face Daytona and a 2006 GMT Pepsi.
Thanks for all the help everyone, the only reason I was considering keeping mine was because it was purchased new, and I wouldn't have wanted to trade it in and end up getting a pre-owned one, so I figured I'd keep mine, and have him buy me a pre-owned one that looks different than mine originally I wanted a date-just 2 however since I'm kind of new to Rolex I thought that particular watch was smaller than the submariner, but found it it's actually 1mm bigger than the sub, and I have always thought the sub was too big for me. So I'm now searching for something in-between what I have now 34mm and 40mm I've found many older date-justs that are 36mm which may fit me well, but I've never been a fan of the jubilee band. And the last thing I want to do is get another one that looks exactly the same as the one I have now. I'm looking for an older date-just with roman numerals, hopefully a black or silver face, 18kt white gold bezel, and to be honest to make it completely different, a leather band. And for some reason when I look online and see that bezels have been changed and most online stores aren't affiliated with Rolex and may void warranty etc it scares me so I'm trying to stay local maybe get lucky and find a man selling his. I've even considered a mont blanc for about 3200 from mont blanc directly, but worried it won't hold value like Rolex....
Sorry for making this confusing!!!!!!
Appreciate 0