View Single Post
      06-28-2014, 03:57 PM   #15
Brokeduetoe90
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
This may be stupid, but if you boss offered to upgrade it, why not let him (his admin assistant) deal with the details?

As for the "upgrade" moving to any of several models would be a price upgrade, but as we are talking about Oyster line Rolexes, not so much of a movement upgrade. The size also will become larger.

• Rolex Explorer I -- same movement you already have
  • Rolex Milgauss -- same movement you already have
  • Rolex Sub-no-date -- same movement you already have
  • Rolex Oyster Perpetual 36 -- same movement you already have
  • Any Oyster line model with a date -- minor upgrade, but still the same basic movement with a date module added
  • Any Oyster Day-Date -- same basic movement, but day and date modules added
  • Rolex Yachtmaster II -- movement upgrade...might also be a materials upgrade, but I'm not totally sure as for a time these were strictly gold or platinum, but they may now be offered in steel too...just not remembering and too lazy to go check.
  • Rolex Explorer II (GMT) -- movement upgrade
  • Rolex Daytona -- movement upgrade
  • Rolex Cellini -- upgrade in terms of movement, design and material as there are no stainless models in that line. Cellini is Rolex's line of dress watches, but they are also fashion forward in terms of design.
As for the price one can expect to get selling the Air King you have, I believe they are going for something in the $4K range (pre-owned retail). If you sell it to a retailer/jeweler like Tourneau, you'll probably get something in the $2K-$3K range because you'll be receiving a wholesale price. Of course, the condition of the thing will affect the rough values I've cited.

Hope that helps.

FWIW, were I you, I'd just ask him to give you a company check for the sum they are willing to upgrade you by and keep the watch you have. It'll be quite a bump in price to actually "upgrade" to a larger watch with a different movement.

Edit:
One thing you may have noticed from the bullet list above is that there's not that much variety among Rolex's Oyster movements. That is why they make so damn much profit on the things...that and that the basic movements haven't changed that much in over 50 years. Rolex have spent more money innovating ways to deal with fraudulent copies of their watches than they have on creating new movements, although they have spent tidy sums improving the actual production process that creates their watches. (Don't take my last two comments as me deriding Rolex; that's not my intent all all for they are very nice watches. I'm just trying to give you a fair picture.)

All the best.
not stupid at all I appreciate all the help on this forum, every one is telling me I shouldn't be the one going through all the trouble to find the watch, but I think just having him write me a check may be the best way to solve this issue.
Appreciate 0