07-09-2014, 06:06 AM   #301
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedlinePSI View Post
Also, to Z K's comment, anybody who really doesn't care about things like quality, or heritage, and just wants something that looks cool; they are not going to be so particular with the design that they can't find something within reason. I don't buy that for a second.
True enough in many ways.

I think everyone cares about quality, at least to the extent that the products -- not just watches -- will perform as advertised and not fall apart on them. Heritage, pedigree, provenance, and other intangible stuff is really only going to provide value to serious collectors.

Let's face it, if I buy a Sub and you buy a fake Sub, all that quality, history, etc. isn't worth a tinker's dam until -- and if -- both watches keep working effectively. And even if the fake dies after five years, just how many fakes can you have bought for your $8K? Forget that one can buy a fake Sub for about $30, just assume it costs $100. One could still wear a watch that looks exactly like a Sub for the remainder of one's days and still not have spent $8K.

It's really just because of the economics of the matter that l wrote that stuff like pedigree and whatnot are really only relevant to serious collectors. Sure, casual, sartorial collectors can enjoy the history just as can the intense collector; however, just as I appreciate the virtues of an F1 car and its abilities, in my own life they don't really matter.

The art world provides another illustration. If you have the real Last Supper (DaVinci) and I have a copy that I frame beautifully and hang, our walls look no different. If' I'm an art collector, I won't have the fake, but if I'm not, what difference does it make? And either way if I don't have the genuine article, anyone who knows me will know that mine is a fake, but when they look at the room it's in, they'll either like the decor, the look, or they won't, fake or no fake.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0