07-09-2014, 10:33 AM   #302
RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something else

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post
What does wearing a fake $20k watch (or a real one for that matter) "make you look like?"

Note: I don't actually condone wearing fake watches. I'm not a watch guy so I don't really care. I'm just having fun playing devil's advocate.
No problem, I hope this all doesn't get too serious too btw. It's an interesting topic and I'm just giving my opinions.

To answer you, it makes you look like you care too much. At the risk of sounding like we're in high school, to me, anybody who tries too hard comes off as just uncool (for lack of a better word). A watch is just jewelry; an accessory. It's the same as anything else. Why buy a $50 thousand dollar car when you can get something at half the price and highly reliable to get you to point B? Why does your wife need that diamond on her finger, or a $4 thousand dollar bag? Because fuck-it! If you have the means, enjoy things in life. When you fake it, you just show that you care too much about the way others perceive you.

Even if this is not true in some cases, it is true in most, and you will be stereotyped as such regardless.
Appreciate 0