RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something else

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
True enough in many ways.

I think everyone cares about quality, at least to the extent that the products -- not just watches -- will perform as advertised and not fall apart on them. Heritage, pedigree, provenance, and other intangible stuff is really only going to provide value to serious collectors.

Let's face it, if I buy a Sub and you buy a fake Sub, all that quality, history, etc. isn't worth a tinker's dam until -- and if -- both watches keep working effectively. And even if the fake dies after five years, just how many fakes can you have bought for your $8K? Forget that one can buy a fake Sub for about $30, just assume it costs $100. One could still wear a watch that looks exactly like a Sub for the remainder of one's days and still not have spent $8K.

It's really just because of the economics of the matter that l wrote that stuff like pedigree and whatnot are really only relevant to serious collectors. Sure, casual, sartorial collectors can enjoy the history just as can the intense collector; however, just as I appreciate the virtues of an F1 car and its abilities, in my own life they don't really matter.

The art world provides another illustration. If you have the real Last Supper (DaVinci) and I have a copy that I frame beautifully and hang, our walls look no different. If' I'm an art collector, I won't have the fake, but if I'm not, what difference does it make? And either way if I don't have the genuine article, anyone who knows me will know that mine is a fake, but when they look at the room it's in, they'll either like the decor, the look, or they won't, fake or no fake.

All the best.
This comparison is VERY interesting and I'll admit it made me think for a moment but I think I found my stance. Regarding an iconic work that has a specific value to some people, such as religion, I think it's totally fine to put up copies. It's more than just an accessory, it's image is meaningful in other ways. You're not trying to bling up your room with that or impress people. It's something that is impossible to get your hands on.

Regarding other fakes, it's a tougher call. I get your point, I do not care about art like that so I would probably be more willing to put up a "replica", but I honestly do not think I would in most cases. I'd rather just find a nice unique work in my price range, or get a copy. I may be wrong but I get the impression that they are usually duplicated, with the artists consent. So, even if there is a black market for fake paintings, legitimate copies seem to be pretty readily available for typical art. I think there is the batch of original copies made by the artist which are still valuable, and then further ones that are just kind of regular copies. Correct me if I am wrong but isn't the value of original art aided by its very limited quantity?

If the real question is would I put up a fake painting that is trying to fool a viewer into thinking it's original, the answer is no I would not.

Anyway, I don't know anything about this stuff, feel free to educate. haha
Appreciate 0