View Single Post
      06-13-2015, 05:47 AM   #102
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Well, it seems there are now eight common complaints re: the Apple Watch. (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/0...n_7153672.html)

I guess I'm not surprised that there are issues. That said, I stand by what I wrote earlier which is that the merit of the Apple Watch, and quite likely near term subsequent iterations of it as well as near term competing smartwatches, is (will be) the promise they hold, not their actual manifestation. I'm pretty sure it'll be a while before someone offers a smartwatch that's so functionally and usability-wise compelling that it'll displace conventional watches -- quartz or mechanical -- from most people's wrists.

I'm pretty sure it'll happen eventually, however. I recall when the first portable phones were introduced and it took a score of years or so before cell phones became compelling enough for vast numbers of consumers to consider them essential.

What does "compelling" mean re: smartwatches? I can't say exactly what features will allow smartwatches to merit that moniker. I can only equate it to my experience with portable phones. I know in general it took some 20 years or so for phones to evolve to the point where I find that even when I'm at home, I reach for my cellphone to make calls more often than I do a land line phone. Perhaps I'm unusual that way because I'm away from home a bit more than 75% of the year. I don't know....

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0