View Single Post
      06-02-2016, 03:33 PM   #1
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Man math in buying high end watches

A recent thread by a guy that wants to buy an expensive Rolex before his wedding got me thinking.

I get the attraction of a magnificent timepiece. I'm just wondering where on the scale of importance do these high end watches fit. For sake of discussion, say a high-end watch is anything North of $20,000.

Who among you would buy a high-end watch before you have other major financial events in your life covered: e.g. wedding, children, home purchased, retirement account established and regularly funded, education, car, etc. Where does a high-end watch fit in terms of priority?

For those who chose a high end watch over these other important uses of funds, what's the rationale? Investment? Important for your job? Impress the ladies (or men?), just because you want to?

Please don't think I am wanting to judge other people's purchase logic, I am simply wondering what drives the decision. Life is short and people should buy what they want. There are so many high-end watches sold so there is certainly a market.

For myself, I am comfortable but not loaded by any means. I have a Tag, Omega Seamaster, and a Baume & Mercier. They are all nice but certainly not in the high-end range. No one is going to be impressed and say, look at the awesome watch he's wearing. Once in awhile I think about a high end watch but so far other ways to spend money have won out.

So, what motivates you all?
Appreciate 0