View Single Post
      03-27-2018, 02:08 PM   #93
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
It's not good for anyone looking to purchase a watch. A run of the mill SS submariner costs more now than it did many years ago even though the watch itself has not changed at all. It inflates the prices of the used ones as well as a side effect.
New prices havent gone up much. Mainly only accounting for normal inflation. They have just severely limited supply, so you are lucky to get one at MSRP right now. This is what has affected the used market.

Even if you look at the prices from this time last year to now, you are looking at a 1-2k jump on most basic SS models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennon997 View Post
well....general inflation also......

my 03 996tt optioned cost me 132k in 2003, my 991 similarly optioned cost me 170k in 2016

any good brand doesn't dilute themselves by overproducing.........even look at streetwear companies like Supreme, they could double their order and sales but they dont wan't to......it kills the brand...

buy a used watch and let the other guy take the hit.....or buy a g-shock. Nothing wrong with that.
Its an alright market strategy to limit supply, but imo, it will hurt the brand in the long run if they continue. Ive already seen many lifelong rolex guys move to other brands because they are tired of the multiple year waitlists and artificially inflated prices.
Appreciate 0