View Single Post
      01-27-2018, 05:03 AM   #558
mnx5er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 3.5i

iDrive 6 in the 2018 X5 is flaky - actually flakier than previous versions of iDrive. I am having three problems with it.

1. Heads-up display does not turn on every month or so. Only can me remedied by parking the car and letting it sit for a while. Everything else I've tried won't turn it back on

2. Preset setting for the radio/SAT is lost and it goes back to the last station you had on next start. For example, if I had a FM station on, when I start the X5 it now displays all FM stations when I try to change stations, not the presets I had it on. This problem is now happening a few times a week at least.

3. Forgets where the iDrive screen was. I usually have NAV and Entertainment on the screen. Most of the time it forgets this and goes back to the main tiles screen when I start the X5 again. Note iDrive 5 also was great at forgetting this last setting.

4. Crashes - three in four months. Entire iDrive system goes blank while driving and you have to wait for it to reboot. Not a fun thing to go through the first time. My last 2016 X5 with iDrive 5 sadly had the same problem.

Overall pretty sad reliability for iDrive. I have had a number of X5s and while the overall reliability seems to be improving, every new version of iDrive gets worse.

Time to take it in and get it updated. I wish BMW allowed owners to update the thing. Appears the updates you can do only impact phone and media connectivity, not the entire iDrive system.
Appreciate 0