View Single Post
      01-18-2018, 12:25 PM   #3
MN2///M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: very fast!

You did not state what year your F15 is, whether it is gas or diesel or what specific AMSOIL product code you used.

Based on the information you provided, I am assuming your's is either a 2014 or 2015 gas motor and you used AMSOIL product code EFOQT-EA.

I consider oil to be a critical component of the engine and as such tend to stick with what the manufacturer recommends/uses and agree with Silververtu; why not just use the BMW oil given the cost?

Assuming that the previous oil was of manufacturer specification and was a 0W (winter) weight, then the viscosity should be pretty much the same and certainly not of a significant difference that you would feel it in performance or rolling resistance.

I know you stated that you did your research and I'm not trying to be an , but only offering an opinion in an effort to help you and others that may read this thread. If your vehicle is a >2016, then this oil does not meet current specifications.

This is the product information I found for AMSOIL 0W40 European Formula, product code EFOQT-EA here:
https://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g3395.pdf
Name:  AMSOIL.JPG
Views: 2124
Size:  47.5 KB

The AMSOIL 0W40 carries "API SN/SM" and "BMW Longlife-01" approvals which is not the same approval as "BMW Longlife-01 FE" according to the BMW manual after 2016. The only "suitable engine oil types" approved by BMW will have "BMW Longlife-01 FE" approval for gas motors and "BMW Longlife 12 FE" approval for diesel motors.

This is further supported by the AMSOIL website when you search for a 2016 or later F15 X5:
https://www.amsoil.com/lookup/auto-a...rbo/us-volume/

Name:  AMSOIL Search.JPG
Views: 2064
Size:  83.6 KB

For motors >2016, the AMSOIL oil does meet the listed "alternative engine oil types", but the manual also states that only 1 quart should be added. Many would say it does not make any real difference and you may agree; my opinion differs. For my money, I would stick with an oil that has the specific approval and for similar cost, would just buy the BMW branded product.

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 2023
Size:  130.6 KB
Appreciate 2