View Single Post
      06-05-2017, 08:15 PM   #1
Optherion
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Prancing Horse

X5 has worst air conditioning system of any car I've ever owned

This is my 9th BMW. Probably 20th car I have owned.

Its a 2017 X5 50i V8 loaded. Hell; should have bought X5m but thats another story.

The air conditioning takes a HOUR to cool down the car. Located in Arizona and today is 108 degrees. Car has NEVER cooled down all day. After a hour in the car, I'm still sweating. I have the damn air conditioned ventilated whatever seats. They suck. Don't buy them; save your money guys. Car is Silver. Limo tint all around. I used a sun shade. I'm out of ideas and its been serviced 3 times for the AC not getting cold.

Does anyone else with the V8 have issues with their cooling system or suggestions that live in hot climates? Car going in for service again. By far the worst AC of any car I have ever owned. The sad part of everything is the AC just absolutely doesn't cool the car down when outside temp is 90+ The uber driver picked me up in a black corolla from the dealer since they had no rental cars and I about froze my ass off in the backseat. Trying to get suggestions here as Im ready to get rid of this thing after 5 months.

UPDATE: 6/21/2017

I posted later in the thread that I did some major research on the air temps.

Supposed to have car back today and they think they narrowed it down to a fix.

If this is the fix I would probably highly advise against the "Rear seat air controls option"

Curious which cars dont have it vs the ones that got the upgrade. You will know because It has the display screen and fan adjustment on the rear center console.

Long Term: 9/29/17 Update.

Just an Update. My car was in the shop a total of 3 weeks prior and now after a few months is working great still through the summer. The AC has been fixed. The short story is this:

The days of when you turned on the AC and it just worked because it was simple are no more. With the introduction of 4 zone temperature controls, add about 30 AC diverting doors to the system, and a 3rd row seat option that adds a lot of vents to the car. My dealer had to replace several components, but in the end fixed it.

The most surprising issue was the car was actually sending codes that certain AC / Heater doors were not shut or open when modes were active. Rear was on heat, front on AC. 3rd row was not even blowing air. ( Fault servo / actuator ? Air Box? The parts list on my RO is crazy). They replaced most of my AC system in the end, and now it works fine. Temps are between 42-48 degrees when its 85 out. I see 50-55 temp difference from outside ambient. 110 Degree day I see ac around 55 even. Works great and problem solved.

FYI: If you are the only person in the car, and you want absolutely BEST ac results, you have to disable the rear AC controls in iDrive. Once done it will Kick the front blower motor even higher. You will hear it actually ramp up. I see 5 degree colder air temps in the front seats immediately. I only turn the rear AC vents on when I have passengers in the back.

Super happy with the car and will definitely think twice when I order / build something with 2nd and 3rd row controls. Just make it simple BMW!

Last edited by Optherion; 09-29-2017 at 04:56 PM..
Appreciate 3