View Single Post
      06-06-2017, 01:31 PM   #15
MN2///M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: very fast!

Older refrigerants that are no longer allowed worked better unfortunately.

Have you measured the temperature of the air coming out of the center vent when the car is on max ac as compared to the ambient temperature of the cabin? How much of a temperature drop is there as compared to the ambient air in the cabin?

There should be at least 15 degrees of difference with an ideal of 18 to 22 degrees Fahrenheit. Less than 15 is a clear indication that something is not working right. Anything much colder will likely start to form ice on the condenser and close off airflow, so also not good.

If the temperature differential is correct, then how fast the car cools down comes down to how much heat gain there is before that same air gets recirculated through the condenser again. It is possible that your fan is not moving as much air as it should, but without a wind meter and something to compare it to (another X5), hard to convince the dealer that the fan needs to be replaced.

I would also recommend measuring temperature direct in the sun and through your glass to see how effective the tint actually is. Just because it is dark, does not mean it is rejecting heat. In fact, a really dark tint can cause heat gain through the glass since black is hotter than white (clear). Depending on the tint manufacturer, the amount of heat reduction varies greatly.

Is your sunroof or windshield tinted? If not, consider something like LLumar Air 80 or Suntek CXP80 on the windshield. It really helps alot.

Hope this helps some.
Appreciate 0