09-05-2014, 09:53 PM   #5
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by cy07 View Post
I guess you dont do ski or mountain biking trip, it will suck to not have running boards when you are loading and unloading all these gears on the roof rack.

Its one of the sole reasons to go for xline for me.
That was a presumption, not knowing me.

About 25 days of skiing a year -season pass holder. I stand on the floor. If it is muddy or wet, I put a towel on the floor to stand on. The X5 running boards are exactly at the floor level of the door so there is no height advantage/disadvantage. When I am at the mountain, the skis stay at the ski valet, so I have one unload and one load per trip. And when I get out I won't have mud on the back of my pants.

I have running boards on an LX470, which has the boards lower, making them a useful step for little ones, shorter folks, or when reaching for the cargo box or rack items. Otherwise the floor there makes me at 6'1" taller than need to be to retrieves small items. Still, in the LX, I have to stand on a platform (built in) on the floor so that I can organize the box. Nearly all the utility is for shorter folks or kids on the LX, where the running board truly acts as a step.

For Mt. Biking....I leave from my front door Mt. Tam. Also, I use a rear bike rack in case I take them farther away. Again, for a roof mounted bike rack, the running boards are the same height as floor, though admittedly they allow you to be farther away from the vehicle. A swing out rear rack is the only solution, which allows access to the trunk.

The running boards on this car are purely aesthetic in my view, and an a form of accessorizing. They are an improvement over the prior generation (I have them on a E70 loaner now), which protrude out even more than the boards on the F15.

There is nothing wrong with accessorizing. People add stickers, components that are supposedly aerodynamic, change muffler tips,....it is all individual taste and all good. Just little to no function.

There is a heavily option, $76k MSRP X Line 30d, with less than 500 miles at my dealer now -the one I returned. If anyone is interested in it, they will likely get a better deal than new, new. Mineral Silver/ Mocha Napa Design Package, Comfort Seats, ACC, Winter Package, Driver Assist +HUD, space saver spare, HK audio, Premium PKG, roof rack bars, .... The one coming won't have/need the running boards, and has Driver Asst. Plus in addition. PM me if in Nor Cal and want the dealer name, anyone.

Last edited by MattBianco; 09-06-2014 at 01:00 AM.. Reason: typos...+ added last paragraph.
Appreciate 0