infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul_Glo View Post
When I grew up I had to make my own entertainment. There was no internet until the mid-90’s. I had friends I’d meet outside the home. My dad disliked noise so no friends were over. He was the kids should be seen and not heard type - so that’s where I get it from! There was no FB in the early 90’s. Internet chat rooms were hardly abuzz. We live in a day and age of technology. It’s a blessing and a curse.
Nowadays some kids rely on social media for validation, self-esteem, problem solving, and even fitting in/belonging. Not all kids follow the crowd and there are some not on social media. My point is we grew up meeting people in person or talking via a corded telephonic in the home (until we got cordless). Kids these days are trying to do the same online. We have ideas about real communication, close friendships… they think that can be achieved and maintained online. You can’t stop kids growing up. They will go behind your back if they are stopped. So may as well bite the bullet. Keep sharing your views with them on how it’s best to seek validation in other ways such as engaging in a hobby or taking up a craft/sport. You could set up an agreement and have monitored accounts (depending on age). You don’t want to be a spy either. Yes it does break a parents heart or annoy them when their child is being subjected to cyber bullying. Yes, more kids have died from silly online challenges such as ingesting tide pods… yes kids do stupid things for acceptance or to be the kid who gets all the attention. A monitored agreement might include time restrictions e.g., one hour and then everyone at the dinner table. Or one hour if you complete your homework. Cut a deal. Set conditions and rewards. Educate them on how to keep safe online. Thankfully all the hype around FB died long ago.. and it won’t be long until Insta-grim does too.. TikTok will too.. until things just get replaced. It keeps rolling… until the next thing.. and that’s the hard part. Keeping up with all the nonsense of what the latest thing is. Just do your best. You can only shield them so much. They will grow up and navigate their way through the world with your guidance. You can only do so much. Hopefully, they never do something stupid and don’t rely on it too much. It will work out.
and get them into one or more sports. always helps
Appreciate 2
S1nner126.00
Soul_Glo13378.00