pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rydogg21 View Post
I run the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3's (style 467 @ 19"s) in the winter here in Denver (sold at Discount Tire), heading into the mountains often chasing the snow and they are rock solid in the deepest of snow, icy roads and still quiet on dry roads. The wear has proven to be better than the Blizzaks and I was able to find them on sale. Really happy with these in the winter compared to the Conti's, Pirelli's and Michelin options which I have tried over the years.
+1

I've run just about every kind of winter tire in my 40 years of driving in Minnesota and around the upper Midwest. The Hakkas are by far the best. I'm running the identical setup as Rydogg21 .

A couple of years ago I did a 110-mile drive on the north shore of Lake Superior in January. It had snowed about 3" overnight. The roads were a mix of packed and loose snow and it was about 12 above Fahrenheit. All 2-lane roads with little or no shoulder and plenty of hills and twists, in a really remote area. The nav system said the drive would take 2 hours and 33 minutes. I did it in 1 hour and 52 minutes. I pushed it a little, of course, but was never 10/10ths or even 9/10ths.

That's what it's like to have confidence in your setup. Nothing like it.