View Single Post
      05-31-2020, 01:23 PM   #61
FastDriver
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgxdz View Post
Here is how it looks on the back. I used a "carbon fiber" hitch cover and a melanized hitch lock to match the rear diffuser, and I'm pretty happy with the finally result. I love the Stealth and Invisihitch's design, however, I'd rather save extra $300-400 bucks for the "non-hidden" looking.

I installed the connector under the bumper. It's a little bit far to reach out, but doesn't bother me too much.

Attachment 1855184
I just want to thank you for the idea & the part numbers. It took me a while cutting, bending, grinding, drilling, & tapping some scrap aluminum to get it all together, but I basically copied this idea with a mounting point that was as close to the hitch as I could get it. You've put a lot more into the look of your rear fascia with the carbon fiber stuff, but I love the tucked away look of the plug. I know the look of the Reese hitch out in the open is not as suave as the invisi-hitch, but I honestly don't think there are many people who would even know that it wasn't OEM. Honestly, I think it makes the X5 look tougher, and frankly with a 6k lbs towing capacity, I'm very impressed. That puts it on par with older American 1/2 ton trucks.

I'm still having some trouble with the wiring, but I've run the trailer wiring connector back and won't have to pull the bumper to finish it up. I have to order the AAG module, figure out the wiring, and then figure out the coding, but at least the first major steps are out of the way. So far, I'm around $400 in, and looks like the AAG module will be $130-170, then another 100-200 for coding. So, at worst case, I'm all in for $770, unless I'm missing something else that I haven't realized yet.

Anyways, here's how the hardware installation came out:
Attached Images

Last edited by FastDriver; 05-31-2020 at 02:22 PM..
Appreciate 1
beats225.00