View Single Post
      02-27-2022, 09:17 PM   #64
E34_BMW_525i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F15 BMW X5

I have been looking at the various tow hitch options for a while now and I have a few open issues that I would appreciate some insight on, for those who are in the know and willing to share some thoughts. I believe I have read all of the relevant threads on here.

I have debated for a while but I think I am probably going to go the simpler / lower cost Curt hitch route with OEM wiring. I like the idea of the Invisihitch, but the cost differential doesn't ultimately make sense for my personal situation. I have heard it has less "slop," in the connections which, if I towed more, might sway me as much as anything. But I am planning to use the hitch for a bike rack 90% of the time, with just enough towing that I want the full setup available for occasional use.

A few questions, as I mentioned:

1- I believe I need both the trailer light controller and the wiring harness. I am planning to go OEM for both. How can I confirm whether I have the controller in the fuse panel area?

2- How much ground clearance is lost with the Curt setup? I am assuming people will say it is the amount that the receiver hangs down below the rear bumper. I guess what I am really asking is, for anyone who uses their X5 for light off-road use, is it a loss of clearance that has any practical impact?

3- Is it reasonable to assume that a local collision center / body shop can handle installing the trailer light controller and wiring harness? I know plenty of people tackle this as a DIY, but that doesn't necessarily mean it is easy. Just want to know if I need to be super particular about choosing a shop for this.

4- If I go with all OEM wiring, will I still need coding once things are hooked up?

Thanks in advance, and sorry if these questions seem obvious to some.
Appreciate 0