United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 M3, '20 X3MC, '03 540i MSp

Garage List
1991 BMW 318is  [0.00]
2006 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djg21 View Post
There's no need for the concealed display if you plan on using V1Driver or one of the other apps as a display. I prefer to have Waze displaying on my iPhone while driving, with V1Driver running in the background, which is why I used the concealed display. I had colored LED added, so it looks good (http://www.fullcolordefense.com).

I routed power to the V1 through the plastic casing around the rear mirror stem, over the top of the windshield, and down the A-pillar to the SAVVY device in the OBDII port. You can tap into a switched fuse, or hard-wire right into the mirror/overhead console instead if you aren't using SAVVY. You can find detailed directions and links to YouTube videos on RD Forums. I have my BT dongle installed behind the storage box to the left of the steering wheel. Both SAVVY and the BT hardwire kit have a jack for an accessories, or you can use an RJ-11 splitters.

Don't think that LIDAR detection will save you. Even if a V1 detects LIDAR, it's probably too late because you've already been tagged. If you have the interest and the resources, there are a couple of laser jammers that apparently do work really well. Again RD Forum is the place to go for information.

There really is no longer a need to use SAVVY, as V1Driver (and a number of similar apps) can use GPS on the phone to do the same thing. Regarding muting, V1Driver handles it all automatically, or you can do it by "dropping pins." It doesn't mute red-light cameras. As to those, I prefer Waze, which gives me a voice warning when approaching known cameras (they all are known).

Definitely get the BT module to start. You can always add a concealed display later. The only reason I have one is so the V1 can't easily be seen from behind the car. I don't like suction cups to mount the V1 because they always eventually stop working, and they also can be seen fairly easily by a LEO standing over the driver-side window. With the Blendmount and the unit neatly hardwired, you have to really look hard to see the detector.

I'd like to see Valentine modernize a bit too. There is talk of a V2, but there has been for many years, and it seems to be just talk. I don't mind a separate BT dongle to allow for technology changes. I've been using V1s for over 20 years, and have paid to upgrade the device a couple of times (you get a new V1). The last time I sent in my BT dongle and Valentine sent me a new one with updated firmware.
Thanks man. Yeah, I'm aware of the LIDAR detection issue, though I found that if I hit the breaks right as it happens, it can help a bit. I've considered installing a jammer for a while, and I may still.

I'm mulling all the rest in my head. I think I'll just get the BT dongle, install, and go from there. And yes, I intend to hard wire to mirror.

Lastly, I hear you on the upgrade. I actually never sent in the V1 for an upgrade in over 10 years. Just this week I finally decided to do it, and they said my hardware was so old it was incompatible with some of the new functionality, so I had to pay 300 for the "replacement" which is really just a brand new V1 unit.
2003 540i MSport
1991 Red 318i (M50B25 engine swap)
Appreciate 0