01-29-2012, 10:23 AM   #68
WilliCO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 535 xDrive MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnnerdboy View Post
I may be the minority here but I want more utility out of the new x5. Perhaps something along the lines of air suspension and lr's offroad traction controls. That's the only way they would get me back in an x5. I had way too many quality issues with my 11 x5 to forgive them that easily
I actually do think you are in the minority, and I don't mean that pejoratively. With the X5, BMW found an enormous appeal to an SUV with on-road handling capability approaching their sport sedans. They've sold way, way more of them than they initially expected to on the basis of that appeal, and they know that a micro-percentage of SUV buyers overall - let alone X5 buyers - have any desire to use their vehicles off-road.

Notice that Porsche had substantial legitimate off-road capability in the first generation Cayenne, which they left behind in the redesign, because doing so enabled them to improve upon the car's main appeal.