View Single Post
      12-27-2012, 05:14 PM   #63
dunderhi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMR View Post
I hope they step up the quality and design game on the next X5, because....sorry to say this...both the new GL and current X5 get trounced by the new Range Rover. Quality, design and yes even driving dynamics on the new RR are two generations ahead. I know the X5 doesn't compete directly with the GL, I know the X7 would be the real RR competitor, but all three get cross-shopped by prospective buyers. And they better do something about interior finishes and colors, instead of depressing all black, the cheap Accord beige...or the ooops, we have to offer "choice", so let's just slap on some brown or white leather (and white headliner!) on top an all black sea of plastics and carpeting. Have you seen the GL or even ML's interior finish and color? OK, I veering a little but I can't help myself!
The 2013 GL I drove was a sea of black with plenty of MB Tex being passed off as leather. My X5M is also a sea of black, but it is black Nappa leather on the dash, black merino leather on the seats and doors, and piano black wood. There is very little plastic to be seen. The only thing I don't like is the black fabric headliner, but the GL's isn't any better. I'll just save my looking upward for my 6er which has an Alcantara headliner. Now don't get me started on the MB's skinny & cheap feeling steering wheel or its feather light steering feel.

As far as RR is concerned, I didn't realize they were still in business. I'd be truly impressed if RR built a truck that was two generations better in handling than my X5M. I'm dying to see that comparison test.
Appreciate 0