View Single Post
      03-29-2023, 04:53 AM   #26
Ad20058
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
You can easily get 150k+ miles out of any N63/S63 powered X5. I'm almost at 180k miles on the E70 N63 which was the original and the worst of this engine family. It's modded and tuned and still pushing almost 600hp and drive the hell out of it every day. The F85's S63TU has many improvements, and getting to 200k miles will not be a problem if you follow the simple steps below.

1 - Change oil every 5k miles, no exceptions. Run a good 5-40 oil (Liquid Moly Liechlauf is what I use). I also add 2 cans of the LM Mos2 additive. This protects yours rod bearings IMHO which are the Achilles heal of any turbo engine as turbo engines are more susceptible to LSPI (low speed pre-ignition) Also known as super knock, especially in hotter climates and questionable fuel quality. During LSPI, the oil film is compressed and metal on metal contact happens on the rod and crank bearings. Over time this wears the bearing down and they eventually lose their ability to hold the oil film, catastrophic failure then occurs and your wallet goes on am instant $30,000 dollar diet. MoS2 contains Molybdenum disulfide which vastly improves the oils ability to withstand LSPI events, preventing metal to metal contact and bearing failure. To put this in perspective, a good 5-40 oil will have a shear strength of around 500-580psi, Molybdenum disulfide has a shear strength of approx 3,600psi. Mos2 adds a critical buffer for bearing longevity in turbo engines.

2 - Change transmission, diffs, and transfer case oils every 60k miles.

3 - OPEN YOUR HOOD when you park - Seriously, I know this sounds mundane [...]
Just take the hood off completely 😂
Appreciate 0