View Single Post
      11-10-2018, 02:49 PM   #6
Mojo85
Rep
Drives: S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
The musty/musky smell usually comes from the growth of bacteria & mold due to perfect conditions that allow for them to grow. You probably need to find a way to PREVENT this growth...especially if you park your car in a garage or in a location that has limited air circulation and darkness.

If the dealership cleaned your AC system and killed off the bacteria and mold prior...and the smell abated at that time...but has now returned...the issue is to CHANGE the situation that allows bacteria and mold to grow.

Personally, I haven't had this condition for the last 30 years because I follow certain steps. Anytime I've been running the AC (especially in hot temps)...if I'm parking in a DARK location with limited air circulation (like pulling into my garage and parking for the night)...I run the park ventilation feature.

Using the park ventilation feature will run the HVAC blower for up to 30 minutes (without the key in the ignition) which helps evaporate any remaining condensate on the AC condenser. This helps prevent the growth of bacteria and mold.

If the ambient temps aren't extremely hot (like 85°F-105°F)...and it is comfortable enough...I will turn off the AC a few miles before my destination...which will do the same...and help dry off any condensate...again, helping to eliminate the birthing ground for bacteria and mold.

There is lots of info out on the internet on how to kill the growth of bacteria and mold from a car's AC system...once you've killed the bacteria & mold...try circumventing the conditions that causes it to return...and see if it eliminates the funky smell from your AC system.

Good luck.
Thanks Qsilver7. I am going to have a hard time explaining this to my wife, and in reality, she will never drill down the menu to activate it, or remember to turn off A/C a few miles before arrival.

I wouldn't even blame her as this is unacceptable for a $70k car.

I just ordered some Kilma Cleaner that I will spray through evaporator temp sensor, will keep everyone posted on the results.
Appreciate 0