View Single Post
      10-17-2014, 10:42 PM   #131
thedragonseven
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 Alpine White M6 Gran Coupe

I have installed the Sprint Booster on my '06 E46 M3, '11 E92 M3, wife's '07 E85 Z4M, and my '14 F06 M6. I also helped my friend install it into his '09 E92 335iX

It isn't a "performance" gain, per se, just a feeling of more response when you press the gas pedal.

In the E46 M3 and E85 Z4M, it really is like hitting the sport button, where it sharpens drive-by-wire throttle response.

In the E92 M3 and F06 M6, there is no longer a single "sport" button, and now when you dial in sport(ier) modes it does tune more things.

The Sprint Booster, though, still does the same thing in shortening that foot-to-pedal-to-acceleration sensation.

There's effectively 3 settings on it which I'll call, null, +1, and +2. And you can try each setting to see how it feels and changes the drive-by-wire lag.

As someone noted earlier, it does nothing for turbo lag, and does nothing for the actual opening and closing of throttles. All it does is change the electrical signal that tells the throttles to open or close.

I guess one way to look at it is to take my grandmother and put her in a McLaren F1 versus say Tanner Foust.

With nerve, a very very straight and wide stretch of pavement, and patience my grandmother can reach the top speed. But it will take her more time to actually react, press down on the pedal, apply force, and hold down the pedal. Nothing about her sitting there changes the F1's abilities or top speed. It only changes how quickly the F1 reacts and applies my grandmother's "signals."

Put Tanner Foust into the McLaren F1 and he'll nail the top speed right away.

Hopefully that wasn't a completely ridiculous analogy.

In either case, in all 5 of the cars I have personal experience we dialed it in and tried the different settings to see what we liked and how it felt.

And in each case, putting it in either +1 or +2 did make perceived response time go down. The cars felt jumpier and quicker to move at the lightest touch of the pedal. And that's really all it's supposed to do. It won't get you more power, won't reduce 0-60 time, and won't reduce 1/4 mile time.

But it does feel better.
Appreciate 0