View Single Post
      04-13-2016, 10:32 PM   #333
MissVito
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 M60i, M240ix

Exclamation Soft close doors popping open when driving. Rearview camera issues

I had this issue within the first year I had the vehicle. I was accelerating to highway speed while making a fairly sharp turn onto a highway on-ramp, it was early morning and dark, all of a sudden my interior lights turn on, door open indicator and gong comes on, and my driver's door is ajar, but still locked with the sound of air rushing through the open door. Scared the living daylights out of me. I'm driving and holding onto the door as I had no idea what was going to happen, there was nowhere to pull over safely. I waited until I was alone on the highway, slowed down a little and unlocked the doors, opened and slammed it shut. The same thing happened to each of the doors eventually, but luckily the doors didn't actually open up. (Seems to be related to going over a bump and turning at the same time, or making a a fast turn) One time I had my dog in the car when it happened right where she was sitting, I would have freaked if I had a kid there. I brought it in and they changed out cables, latches, etc., there was actually a service bulletin/recall for it. It hasn't happened again, thank God. It seems that issue has been happening for several years and on other models with soft close doors. Now I noticed that you can get the comfort entry package without soft close. I won't get those on the next one. I filed a report/complaint with the NHTSA. I had to be pretty pushy to get them to believe me. I actually took a video with my phone when it happened and showed it into the dealer, then I finally got some action. They had me email them the video and they sent it to BMW. What really irks me, and this is any brand of vehicle, is they try and make it seem like *we* are doing something wrong and causing the problem. Especially since I'm a woman, but I'm a woman who is mechanically adept, and growing up I worked on cars with my dad, so I'm not a dummy like they think.My theory is there might be some twisting of the body going around a turn fast so maybe there's a design flaw in the soft-close latch assembly and it disengages slightly. Also, sometimes the rearview camera doesn't activate, there is just a blank screen, once there was a gray screen with the yellow triangle. It seems to be related to putting it in reverse while my phone Bluetooth is trying to connect. I have to shut the car off and let everything turn off completely then retry and it usually fixes it. I don't know if it's worth having the dealer mess with it. They might screw something else up.
Appreciate 0