View Single Post
      08-14-2018, 05:40 PM   #4
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonaviolet View Post
op, just wondering.. what is the advantage of going with the ///m oil pain besides protection.
This is a well known mod folks did it back in 2016 when X5M became popular. It's not for protection, it's for improving heat exchange. Aluminum f85 oil pan has better heat dissipation (better fins and plus Aluminum itself dissipates heat better than let's say steel). That is why f85 got it to begin with. Just another extra safety mod to keep oil temps a bit lower.

The irony is that ZF8 transmission is not that bad with temps (but still a good mod to have especially if you often do stop-n-go traffic in summer heat or tend to drive aggressively, tow often etc.), plus we 50i guys have extra oil cooler for it. I'm more concern about TC (transfer case) that if anything will fail (specifically due to heat) long before ZF8 transmission will. Just my opinion.

It's same TC known for barely adequate oil supply for it's clutch and internals (due to poor engineering) - the result is that it starts to slip and then you get a shudder during acceleration etc. Timely TC oil change helps alleviate issues.

Last edited by DuSh; 08-14-2018 at 05:47 PM..
Appreciate 1
bmwx1sq145.00