View Single Post
      12-07-2019, 12:57 PM   #75
Salty Dog
Captain
Rep
Drives: Austin Mini,MBGLK, Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
This was where my heart sank. if that was my wife in that SUV I'd be furious. Completely sick. Theres 3 LOEs on the driver's side of that brown SUV, all shooting. How about just 1 of them opens that door, pulls the driver out, and ushers them to safety? Then go back and use that SUV as a shield.

Watch the video at 2:36. There's a minimum of 30 LEO vehicles in front of that van and another dozen next to it or behind it. it's literally going nowhere. Get those civilians out of harms way. That should be priority #1. Then deal with the dudes inside who are surrounded by 100+ officers.

Again, I wasn't there so it's easy for me to make comments about a situation I wasnt in. The LEOs did their best and did what they were trained to do. So the training needs to change. My 7 year old niece has active shooter drills in her 1st grade class. We can train our LEOs for active shooter in high civilian situations as well.
Your concern is valid, but what often happens in high risk situations is tunnel vision. Like I've said, it's easy to monday morning quarterback and this is where the changes in policy and procedure as well as training will get addresses.

Just for perspective, about 30 years ago I was responding to a bank robbery with shots fired, there was a short pursuit and the suspects bailed out of their car. We were setting up a perimeter to bring in the dog and start the search. There was a young copper who had a traffic point, he had an interception closed and was directing traffic away from the area. As I was going by I saw that he had his pistol in his hand and was using it to direct traffic.

People don't always act in a predictable fashion when under those types of stress, this is how training and policy gets changed.

And FTR, I stopped and had him holster his weapon.
Appreciate 3
DETRoadster11466.50
minn1914063.00
MKSixer34188.50