View Single Post
      08-13-2008, 07:26 PM   #2
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by x46359 View Post
I wasn't sure which section to post this ... mods please feel free to move if its in the wrong section.

I was driving home yest when it started to rain .... A LOT. I took an exit off the highway and proceded toward the apt.

This is a one way street (for about half a mile) and there is NOWHERE to stop or turn around ... basically its a narrow street with 5 ft walls on each side that connects to a short tunnel.

Anyways, I get to the entrance of the tunnel and see water starting to rise up ... so I stop. I look forward to see the car in front of me start disappearing into a hude pool of water. I can't say exactly how high the water was but maybe a good 18-24"

So there I am, car stopped right before "the river" and people behind me honking and flashing me to go. There was no direction to go but forward. Now if i tried to back up, every car behind me, all the way out to the highway exit, would have to back up one by one...not happening in Korea.

Anyways, I go thorugh the water as slow as I can in SECOND gear (a mistake according to research I did once I got home). There were "bow waves" crashing against the side of my car upto my hood ... but luckily I made it through to the other side (a good 7-8 second in that "puddle").

I checked the engine once I got home ... looks like most of the water evaporated before reached the intake (I have the BMS intakes btw). According to my car, the only thing that failed was the "adaptive headlights" ... got the warning light on my dash. My car starts, runs, and drives just fine (no other check engine lights so far)

I read that the hot exhaust/brakes/rotors suddenly being submerged in cold water is a big no no ... others say not to worry since it was such a short time. I just wanted to get your opinions/experiences on the matter ... brakes and exhaust look fine from an initial inspection. Just wondering if there is something specific I should look/watch out for in the next few days ... or will my car be fine?

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for any help.

Rich
what did your research say? why was 2nd gear a mistake?

"KOPEYKA" /// Titanium Silver / Black Leather / Gray Poplar / Sport Package / Premium Package / 6MT / Feb 08 Production
Appreciate 0