View Single Post
      02-17-2019, 09:02 PM   #92
Curt2000
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '93 Supra Turbo

The one thing that I didn’t like about my Supra was that it is a stock Turbo Auto tranny. While I got a much better deal on it because it was AT and I had read a lot of positive things about the auto tranny being able to hold big power and put down great times on the track, it still felt lethargic on shifts and the opposite of joyful while driving around town.

I knew that a 6MT swap would be a big investment; the V160 itself is going for insane amounts even with bad gears or high miles. Adding the 6MT differential made the parts cost even more astronomical. So I started looking at other options, the stock 5spd just seemed like a cheap substitute and I didn’t like the thought of a Nissan tranny powering me around. I liked the idea of a Lexus or BMW DCT swap but the electronic tuning required scared me away.

Then I came across Grannas Racing. Joel has done an incredible job of sourcing and designing a true turn-key 6MT swap kit that is complete with every nut and bolt required.

He has made a series of install videos on youtube that walk you through the process step-by-step and once you finish watching you realize that he has literally thought of everything! The kit even comes with a electronic unit the fine tune your speedometer, a stock look (baseball) shifter that has the R in the up position, and a 3D printed adaptor for the OEM shift boot to fit on the aftermarket shifter and knob.

The Tremec T-56 Magnum is the transmission he works with, it’s a monster and best yet, its new production with readily available repair parts. It works with the stock auto differential and is easy to use for street driving.

I chose the OS Giken twin disc clutch to go with the kit since it was the best mix of drivability and suitability for my power goals.

I bought the entire kit minus the tranny for now (since its such a big investment) I’ll hopefully have enough saved up to get the tranny and finally complete my dream of having a 6MT Supra!

Former Car: '16 SUNBURST GOLD F80 ///M3--6MT/Carbon Cloth (ED Thread)
Former Car:'13 SANTORINI BLUE E92///M3--6MT/Speed Cloth/ZCP(ED Thread)
INSTAGRAM:@C2KMotorsports
Appreciate 2
Red Bread4462.00
VipinLJ1936.50