View Single Post
      06-14-2017, 05:56 PM   #7
VGM6
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: F86 X6M & E63 M6

Thank you for your response. This was exactly what I was wondering. I have always understood that when down sizing rims you have to upsize tires and vice versa. I just wanted to make sure that it would or wouldn't throw off the car in any way possible. Sadly I wish we had a little more meat on our tires when going with the stock size tires for 21" but I think that's as large as I would go with such horrible roads in Toronto. I hope the owner I ran into doesn't have any issues with his 22"s and those tires.

Thanks again for your response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trev230 View Post
You are not really supposed to deviate from the factory tire height and/or rolling diameter. A lot of things are related to the mechanical design are directly connected to that oem tire size. Speed sensors, transmission related components, traction control related items, literally a laundry list of stuff would be thrown off caliber. I'm almost certain that with AWD it's even more of an issue. You ever notice the warnings about replacing only one or two tires on an AWD vehicle? That's why. Just the difference in tire tread depth can make things a little goofy.

I wouldn't go as far to say that it will tear up any components as long as the difference isn't too drastic but it definitely will cause a few sensors or such to be off.

That's why when you increase the wheel diameter you offset it with smaller profile/sidewall tires.

If someone wanted a larger sidewall to add more comfort they should be looking at going smaller on wheel/rim size first to compensate for the larger than OEM profile/sidewall tire.

There are websites where you can play with the sizing to get it right.
Appreciate 0