2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stev_chu View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaod View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stev_chu View Post
There are peoples talking about a brand with the bmw logo on it..but personally I never seen one myself yet
It's a bottle of oil sold in one liter bottles looks like this:
Attachment 1945517
Haha I think so..anyone know the history to this?
History to what? BMW is a car company not a fossil fuel drilling company. No auto manufacturer makes their own oil. It's all rebranded stuff they can get for cheap that meats their specs.

And as much as I love threads that continue to cover topics that have been thoroughly vetted time over time (not for you but whoever resurrected this thread) Right now bmw recommends Castrol (and is what their 0W-30 is relabeled from if I recall, no shell) where it used to be Mobil 1 as Mobil has changed their formula. 0w-30 or 40 or 5w-30 etc is dependent upon where you drive and the season. I choose 0W-40 cuz that's what I got and have always used in my German cars and I love in coastal VA where it rarely gets below freezing. But there are several options. Oil types also differ from dealer to dealer. I promise that not every dealer is using 0w-30.
Many will use 5w-30 cuz it's cheaper and workable across all platforms and they come in giant drums. They don't pull from small quarts that you see on the shelf.

So no you don't need to drain your oil just cuz they put in 5w-30. It will not damage your engine but for the next oil change I would use at least a eurospec or bmw LL-01.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 1
DuSh2113.50