View Single Post
      10-10-2019, 12:28 AM   #778
bmw_noobe
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50i

Help, strange sound started happening 4 months ago (around June)

Dear fellow BMW enthusiasts and experts. Totally new here and had never needed to post questions before but I have exhausted all options and seeking advice.

I've scanned through this thread completely (all 35 pages as of 10/09/19) and didn't see anything that matches my problem. Apologize upfront if a thread is already created for this. I'd humbly go check out that thread if someone would be so kind as to point me there.

I own three BMWs. A 2007 BMW 530i, a 2011 Z4 sdrive35i and now a 2016 X5 50i. After checking out threads on this forum about 35i vs 50i, I convinced myself I needed the 50i. https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/im...milies/lol.gif I picked up my beautiful alpine white, 25k miles, fully loaded X5 CPO last Oct 2018. Had to drive 1 1/2 hour to get to the dealership.

There were some minor things that I had to get fixed, such as the HUD disappearing during rainy days, climate fans rattle, squeaks in the B pillar (turned out to be a cavity) and a few minor cosmetic items. So for 8-9 months, I had been immensely satisfied with the car. The car ran great and cabin was very quiet, exactly what I'd expected from BMW's flagship. However, when the first summer months came, I started noticing this strange sound that I can only describe as chirping or rattle. Initially it was faint but as the summer months continue, the chirping sound got louder and louder.

Below is a youtube video link recording of the sound at about 5 to 6 chirps per sec about 7 and 24 seconds into the recording. I recorded this when the outside ambient was 79F so it is a little faint so you'll need to turn up the volume. Sound can be heard under load prior to switching to lower gears around 1k rpm. I first noticed it when I was cruising at 40mph on a flat horizontal road on a hot day. Upon lightly stepping on the gas to accelerate, the transmission would stay in 8th gear for a few seconds before it switches to a lower gear. It is during these few seconds is when I hear the chirping sounds. In addition, long climbs up hills will definitely exhibit the noise as the car is constantly under load and the sound can be heard at all gears.

Took it in to my local dealership three times. Initially they could not reproduce but eventually they did with the TSE from BMWNA. The following is their findings exactly as it is shown on the invoice. "30116 ROAD TEST VEHICLE AND INTEROGATE FAULT MEMORY ROAD TEST VEHICLE FOR CHIRPING SOUND ON SMOOTH ROAD BETWEEN 1K TO 1500 RPM AT 7TH OR 8TH GEAR WHILE ACCELERATING AT 40MPH. CONNECT BATTERY CHARGER AND PERFORM VEHICLE TEST. FOUND NO FAULT STORED PERTAINING TO CONCERN. REMOVED BOTH SPLASH GUARDS, ENGINE ACOUSTIC COVERS, AND ENGINE COWL TO PINPOINT AND ISOLATE THE NOISE. CHASSIS EAR CLIPS APPLIED ON VARIOUS PARTS OF THE ENGINE, TRANSMISSION, AND SUSPENSION. NOISE HEARD LOUDEST AT EXHAUST. TSE MIKE P. AND FOREMAN TEST DROVE NARROWING THE NOISE DOWN TO THE TURBOS. AS SUCH, WHEN THE TURBO IS SWITCHING BETWEEN BOOST UPON LOADS THE FLUTTERING NOISE OCCURS AS THE AIR PASSES THROUGH THE VALVES. PER TSE IT'S A NORMAL OPERATION. NO FURTHER ACTIONS REQUIRED AT THIS TIME."

I was really unsatisfied with this finding and they could not explain to me why I did not hear this sound prior to June. With no resolution, I took back my car. Come Sept, the outside temp hit 100F and the chirping noise was quite noticeably louder and happening every time I accelerate. Furious, I brought my car in for the fourth time. My SA and the master foreman were sympathetic to my concern and had tried to submit a warranty request to replace the turbo. Unfortunately, the same TSE saw the car again and refused further warranty work and denied the claim.

I then brought it the same dealership I bought the car for a second opinion. After a week and half, the SA manager who personally took my case, was able to reproduce the sound and fortunately (or unfortuantely), another 2016 50i also came in for service for something else. The SA manager drove both customer's X5 50is to compare and per the SA manager, found that BOTH cars made the same noise (couldn't confirm since I am not allowed to drive another customer's car).

The SA manager could not explain why I didn't hear the sound for 8 months after purchase. The other 50i owner never brought up the same concern (SA could see the records). So either that owner haven't realized the sound was there or that person don't care. While this bit of information is useful in that it gives me a bit of peace of mind, I am still scratching my head as to why the sound was not there from the beginning.

BTW, I also started a case with BMWNA. They claim they are my advocate and are investigating my concern. It has been two weeks but have not heard back. I'm not hopeful but am crossing my fingers.

Now, question for the forum.

Do you think this sound is normal?

Have anyone else with a similar year and model experience the same? If so, did you resolve it and how?

What would you recommend me to do next?

Thank you in advance for any guidance or advice.
Appreciate 0