Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i M Sport, M3(sold)

Garage List
2014 X5 50i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTWW View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoold2003 View Post
I was doing the same thing as you a few months ago. I'd convinced myself that the TU version was reliable enough to take the plunge. Fast forward till today when the BMW shop is tearing down the motor to find out where the knock is coming from. I'm pretty sure the motor is shot and I'm out of warranty but we'll see how BMW handles it.

Just an FYI. My 14' 50i engine was replaced last summer a year out of warranty. I had a cylinder go out (#5) from what I now suspect was a faulty HPFP (I think that it wasn't throwing codes but leaning out that bank) BMW goodwilled 75% at their cost. I think I paid $3400 total. I think they realize there are some engines with issues. They stuck the same HPFP on the brand new long block and 6 months later I was getting bogging and a CEL again. This time it did throw a fuel pump plausibility code. At first they weren't going to warranty that but came back and decided to do it all for free (since that should have been suspecting in the first place). Hopefully it works out for you.
It sounds like they're gonna replace my engine for about the same price as they did for you. At least we don't have to spring for the whole $15k!
Appreciate 3
Violator4587.50
CT335xi684.00
AZTWW195.00