View Single Post
      02-20-2020, 07:54 PM   #11
EED14X5
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by König Schultz View Post
I remember reading that BMW has two types of accident avoidance systems which will apply the brakes automatically. One is done through the cameras visually and can only do automatic braking at "city speeds." The other system uses a combo of visual data and radar to be able to brake at both "city speeds" and "highway speeds." I'm unsure what the actual speeds are that fit into these zones. I also assume the latter option is only on the newest generation vehicles... But I'll be in the shop tomorrow and will ask someone.
My 2014 with the Driver Assistance Plus package has both braking systems. The city/pedestrian one operates from 6mph to 35mph and uses just the camera. The other system uses the radar sensor and camera and operates from 3mph and doesn't list an upper limit. It doesn't work when coming up on cars at a stop (unless you're going slow enough for the car to stop). I've

I've had some idiots brake suddenly in front of me and the car saved me from rear ending them. Not perfect as it doesn't always catch stuff but thankful to have a second pair of eyes in the car.
Appreciate 1
König20.00