United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 M3, '20 X3MC, '03 540i MSp

Garage List
1991 BMW 318is  [0.00]
2006 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranswick852 View Post
Lots of threads on DHP on this forum, all of them singing the praises of this option. When assessing the merits, try to assess whether the poster offering an opinion actually has DHP or not.

I am lucky to have one of those rare cars that has DHP. I have not driven an X5M, so cannot compare to that, but have driven X5 M Sport with adaptive suspension and the difference is night and day. Active sway bars dramatically reduce body roll when cornering. Torque vectoring (however it is implemented) really helps with turn-in when cornering - no hint of understeer.

If it's available, and all other things being equal, going for DHP is a no-brainer.

At the end though, as others have said, try them both - go for whichever you prefer. And enjoy.
I cannot say this enough - but I find this whole DHP "argument" kind of silly.

We're talking about a high center of gravity, 5K-lb SUV. It doesn't much matter what you do - DHP or not - you cannot defeat the laws of physics and have this thing handle like a sports car. Can you make a small difference when you're accelerating on an onramp? Sure. But I suspect almost no one on this forum is tracking their X5 or driving it to their very limits. If you bought an X5 for its cornering abilities, then I daresay you've bought the wrong car.

If you really want a car that that handles like a sports coupe, get an M3. I have both. I don't expect my X5 to ever handle like my M3, and I don't intend to drive it for that purpose or that extreme.

If you really want an even more practical car that handles closer to a sports car/sports coupe, there are a few wagons out there that fit the bill. But again, a high CoG, large, 5K-lb SUV just isn't it - not built for that purpose.

On the other hand, I completely understand people's desire to have their X5 handle better than other comparably-sized SUVs. Totally fair. If we're talking about things in that context, then I completely agree. I also agree that all things being equal (price included), of course it's better to get DHP. It's a no-brainer to have that package. But the discussions on this forum from folks who've probably never driven on a track re. DHP are pretty comical in general, as if it'll take your X5 and turn it into a 911 GT3. Does it make a bit of a difference? Of course? Is it a complete transformation of the entire vehicle, making it handle like a sports coupe? No.

Also, FWIW, if you're out of warranty, it can get pretty expensive to fix the DHP if it breaks down. One of my close friends runs a BMW repair shop...ask me how I know.
2003 540i MSport
1991 Red 318i (M50B25 engine swap)
Appreciate 0