04-17-2015, 03:10 PM   #28
SunnyD
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdaft1 View Post
Really? It doesn't matter if it lasts 18 hours or 3 weeks... It's adding one more step of complication for the user that didn't previously exist before (ie: must remember to charge watch every night and add another charging cable on the bedside table).

I've heard a few folks say "we rejected the iPhone/iPad when it came out too". Well it's important to note that the iPhone/iPad addressed a pain point by simplifying the users life. It provided a seamless way to streamline multiple devices into one (ie: desktop/laptop/phone/tv/etc). Other than an ego stroking for some of those attention starved first adopters, the jury is still out on what need/pain point the Apple watch actually addresses.
I agree that it's more add-on functionality than a "need to have", but what about people who wear watches in general? What function does wearing a Rolex serve that can't be provided by your car, phone, oven, microwave, computer, etc? This doesn't seem to stop people from buying Rolexes.

The point I'm trying to make is that people will buy things because they like it, and you can't really try to justify it. Most non car enthusiasts would say we're crazy for driving expensive BMWs, when you can buy a significantly cheaper car to get you from point A to B.

EDIT: Full disclosure, I am a watch enthusiast who owns a variety of timepieces and do have an Apple Watch on order.
'98 ///M3 | 5MT - Gone
'07 ///M Coupe | 6MT - Gone

Last edited by SunnyD; 04-17-2015 at 03:16 PM..
Appreciate 0