03-15-2021, 05:34 AM   #160
Psychoticgroove
Builderbloke
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagunablue1 View Post
How's the f85 feel coming from an SRT? I'm looking to swap my '17 SRT for a 17/18 F85.
Besides the very minor turbo lag, which is all bit eliminated in sport plus, the F85 is leaps and bounds ahead. What I loved about the SRT was that it was always just ready to rip someone's head off... it was raw and visceral, great in the lower gears but only Ok thereafter.... the M on the other hand is very very quick, but goes about its business with panache and keeps pulling like a freight train but with a 'what's the big fuss' attitude....

The best 0-100 run I ever got out of my SRT was 4.5 on a very cold night and slightly downhill.... the M does 4 sec runs all day every day.

The M is also another level of design and luxury, if that's something you fancy. Understated and refined, but you know there is a brute under the carefully tailored suit. The SRT on the other hand was not shy in showing; loud exhaust, big beefy styling, it was all about ' look at me'... Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the attention (had a Borla catback), however sometimes you just wanna fly under the radar, which was seldom possible with the SRT.

I loved the SRT for what it was, but it spent more time at the dealers than in my garage. The shocking reliability and poor quality of interiors is well documented.

When I switched to the M Sport 50i with DHP, I initially hated the floaty suspension, but the power was there to compensate and to be honest, it was quite comfortable as a daily. It wasn't any quicker than the SRT, but wasn't slow either. But it wallowed in corners like a whale in comfort mode and I found myself often driving in sport plus to put the DHP to use.

The switch to the proper M was a huge welcome! The suspension in the M is more reminiscent of the SRT, firm and precise, however whilst you undeniably felt the weight of the Jeep, the F85 is surprisingly nimble and car like. I find myself throwing it in corners just for sh!ts and giggles and everytime it comes the other side with a 'that's all you got' smirk! Also the paddle shifter shifts on the M are near instantaneous whereas I found the SRT shifts to be a bit laggy even in track mode.

In the end, the F85 was a logical choice. The only thing I miss is the glorious sound of the exhaust on the Jeep. The F85 sound is not only a very different more Euro sound (not necessarily a bad thing, just different), but also quite subdued, especially if you're used to big block NA sounds. I'm getting an Akra shortly, so just be prepared to spend on an exhaust upfront, or buy a car that has already got the work done.

Best of luck, you will not regret it!