01-09-2017, 01:48 PM   #56
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by elm3 View Post
If I put a set of cat less down pipes, would the stage 2 compensate for it and turn off the CEL? The r is Dinah coming out with a set of DP and a stage 3?
Quote:
Originally Posted by onfireX5 View Post
Dinan will not bypass the cel or release a downpipe for emission reasons. Under 800 engine hp the factory cats aren't going to cost more than 15ish hp anyway. Mainly a sound mod.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elm3 View Post
Ok cool. Reason I asked is because I remember on the e9x M3 platform, Dinan came up with cat less x-pipe with software for it. But if it doesn't make any huge changes, then I won't waste my $$$$ on DP.
What onfireX5 said. =)

The E9x M3 midpipe (removed secondary CATs) was the last emissions illegal piece we ever did and was removed from the catalog about 2 years ago when simply stating "for off-road use" didnt cut it anymore. Was a sad time but alas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan725 View Post
Dinan, I'm a big fan. I appreciate the level of engineering and testing done prior to public release. I currently have your exhaust and S1 on my F85 installed through BMW Excluservice. I understand most of what you said in your post, but can you discuss how the sound improves? Like most, I wish the exhaust was a bit more aggressive, but as an early 40's business professional, I don't want to rattle the boss' windows either.
I've already placed my order for S2 and the CAI with Stefan at BMW Excluservice, he should be ordering tomorrow if he hadn't last week.
The intake increases the sound as the increased amount of air flowing through the system creates more induction noise. Nothing like an open air intake will give you by a long shot (the big whoosh) but you do still get a bit of extra sound from the engine compartment.

Stephane is great. Really can't go wrong dealing with him and the BMW Excluservice guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWF80 View Post
The truck feels great. It is not mine so I do not drive it everyday. The intake is noisier but nothing totally different then the factory intake configuration. Dinan always designs their intakes with sealed boxes which is why you don't get a ton of induction noise. As for the fit and fitment everything is great. The carbon cover is aesthetically pleasing under the hood as well. In my opinion the truck had a ton of power with the stage 1 to begin with. So much so its better to just let the truck shift for you since the rpm climbs so fast in first gear. I did not really notice a huge low end difference but I can say the top end is never ending.
Even stock the X5M is an animal. Everything added just makes it more and more special.
Appreciate 0