scotty339
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 x35i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemanja2011 View Post
Someone please help.

I have a 2015 X5 I bought used. It already has a towing hitch installed, and someone also installed a Tekoncha Trailer Wiring Light Kit Harness Kit Plug (spliced, but with circuit protection), with the 4-pole connector (this is just for lights).

I recently got a lightweight camper trailer, which will weight 4,500lbs max when loaded. I wanted to install a brake controller, and dived into research, forums, etc.

All say to look for the BMW towing harness, located either behind the trunk rear passenger panel, or underneath the dash in the footwell. I swear my F15 just doesn't have that 4-plug connector in neither places.
Is that possible? Could it be that my F15 came from factory without the harness?
Other threads said the harness was hidden in the wiring. I have looked everywhere and removed more panels then needed. Just NO trace of it.

The generic wiring diagram on the brake controller says to tap into a brake pedal switch cold side. Would this make the modules go crazy, since it may sense the voltage change? I thought I could simply do that, provided it would have no consequences...

Any better ideas, please let me know.

Thanks is advance!
Since you dont have the OEM BMW harness, you won't have the 4 pin trailer brake controller hookup. Your Tenkosha wiring harness is installed a very different way than the OEM harness.

The CANBUS 2 pin connector is what is hidden in the wiring loom that you have to dig for, IF installing the OEM harness.

Looking at this picture of the OEM Harness -
https://c1552172.ssl.cf0.rackcdn.com/710004_x800.webp

You can see at 4:30 (lower right corner) the 4 pin hookup for the trailer brake controller.

You'll have to tap some wires for your trailer brake controller. In regards to the electrical, I am unsure.

Good luck!

Last edited by scotty339; 05-31-2021 at 10:01 AM..
Appreciate 0