View Single Post
      06-30-2017, 04:30 PM   #1
daveinct
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M

2016 F85 X5M audio system failure / "No warning tones"

I have a 2016 F85 X5M, and yesterday after work I started up the vehicle as I always do, and noticed there were none of the usual audible tones etc, and the iDrive screen displayed the message "No warning tones". None of the available audio sources would function whatsoever, and the radio power button wouldn't even let me turn off the audio system. I have the upgraded Bang & Olufsen audio system, where the middle speaker pops up out of the dash, and pressing the power button had no effect as it usually would. I have attached a picture of the error message.

Turning the vehicle ignition off and then back on also resulted in the same behavior. Searches on the Internet for this error message seem to indicate that either the amplifier was malfunctioning/dead, or there is a problem with the battery (or batteries, as I think this vehicle has multiple if I'm not mistaken?). I called the local dealership right before they closed and set up an appointment to take it in for service next week.

However, later that evening after the vehicle sat for a couple hours, I started it up and everything randomly works again.... Which is almost worse to me, because now when I take it to the dealership they may say "everything is fine" as they love to do (based on my experience at least). I'm hoping that the error is stored in memory and they can identify it. Meanwhile, I'm afraid that it could really be a problem with a battery, and I could be left stranded someplace over the weekend. Thoughts???

This is too new of a vehicle to be having this type of problem! I also have the brake squeal, which is even worse since the dealership replaced the pads (yes, I know, high performance brakes make noise, but this is beyond acceptable when it sounds like a f'ing bus or tractor trailer and the dealership doesn't see it as an issue). I also had the clicking noise when turning which the dealership fixed. This thing has been in the shop one too many times for the less than 1.5 yr period I've leased it. My first BMW and maybe my last........

And oh, on my drive home from work today, the front proximity sensor apparently misfired as if a car was right in front of me, high pitch tone was emitted, and the vehicle unexpectedly slammed on the brakes on an open road. WTF is going on with this thing??????
Attached Images

Last edited by daveinct; 06-30-2017 at 04:40 PM..
Appreciate 0